Why don't you take this afternoon off?为何不下午请假呢?我想请/休两天假,就能说I want to take two days off.我有两天休假,则说I have two day soff.
无限扩展:请病假:ask for a sick leave、请事假:ask for a casual leave请产假:ask for maternity leave,所以,I am on my maternity leave.就是我在休产假的意思。
I'm already behind schedule.我的工作还没有完成,已落后时间表了。Behind schedule表示落后于时间表,比原计划慢。无限扩展:表示按计划完收获是on schedule,如We finished the project on schedule.大家按计划完成了工程项目。
有时老板们会定个最后期限,表示工作在此之前需要完成。表示这个最后期限,时间限制用deadline,如We had to work overtime last night in order to meet the deadline.大家昨晚为赶最后期限,不能不加班来完成工作。
He would think that I was putting him on.他会感觉我在骗他。
to put some body on愚弄、欺骗某人;如she put on an English accent.她假装带有英国口音。
无限扩展:You're putting me on!你在开我的玩笑。
I'll handle him.我会跟他讲解的。To handle表示处置、应对、应付。如I can't handle children.我管不住孩子们。She handled a difficult argument skillfully.她巧妙地应对了一场艰难的辩论。
实战对话:
John:Do you have any tissue, Eveline? I've used all mine.伊芙琳,你有纸巾么?我的全用光了。
Eveline:Here. Are you all right?给,你还好吧?
John:Thanks. I'm all right. It's just my nose. It must be an allergy.... Do you have any aspirin? I have a terrible headache.谢谢,还好,都是我的鼻子,一定是过敏了。你有没阿斯匹林?我头疼去世了。
Eveline:I don't have an aspirin. Perhaps you should go to a doctor.我没,或许你得去看看大夫了。
John:No, no. I'm okay. It's the weather. It was warm and sunny this morning, and now it's chilly and raining.不不,算了吧,我还好啦。都是这鬼天气闹的,早上还阳光灿烂挺暖和的,这会儿却下雨了,阴冷阴冷的。
Eveline:Really, John. I still think you should go to a doctor. You've been sneezing ever since you entered the office this morning. Why don't you take this afternoon off? If you don't want to see a doctor, at least you can go home and have a good rest.的确,约翰。我还是感觉你应该去看大夫。今早你一到办公室,就打喷嚏到目前。干脆下午请假吧,假如你不想去看病,至少回家好好休息一下。
John:I can't. I'm already behind schedule. Besides, you know Mr.Thomas. He would think that I was putting him on.不可以啊,我已经落后于时间表了。而且你了解托马斯先生的,他会觉得我在愚弄他。
Eveline:You didn't do anything but sneeze this morning, and you can't do anything this afternoon like this. Gee! You've got a fever!今早你除去打喷嚏什么都没做,你这个样子下午也做不了什么。呀!你还发烧呢。
John:Do I ?... Oh, no.什么?噢噢,不是吧。
Eveline:Listen to me. You go home now.听我的!你目前回家。
John:What about Mr.Thomas?那托马斯先生如何解决?
Eveline:I'll handle him. Now go home. I'll call you afterwork.我会给他讲解的,你快回家吧,下班后我给你打电话。
John:Thanks a lot, Eveline. Good-bye.那太谢谢你了伊芙琳,回见。